Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Book Review: The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

If you want a nice little happy book about magical realism, get off this blog and don't read this book! But if you're a book masochist like I am, let me tell you about newcomer Leslye Walton's debut novel The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. 

I don't get to read a lot of magical realism, but whenever I do they always have a certain air of mystery to them. Walton delivers that in this book. I felt like I was stepping into a cloud whenever I picked up this book, and her dreamy writing style captured my attention immediately.

Some complaints that I've seen about the novel is that the book is more about Ava's grandmother and her mother's sorrows. I don't necessarily think that is true.

I think you need the context of Ava's family history to understand how this strange girl born with wings came into the world. Due to this strange yet beautiful mutation, she is burdened with not fitting in her whole life. Her sorrow is that she is so very alone, and she was born with wings that do not even let her fly. It makes her feel more like a freak then someone special. I think you get that early on, and if you don't see her mother and grandmother's sorrows you wouldn't have the complete story about the Roux family.

I don't want to give away the ending, but I do think that it's debatable about what really happens to Ava. Something huge does happen in the climax of the novel; something that will make you clutch your heart. I think overall the ending is written as a happy one, but I also think that you could interrupt the ending as a dream. I like to believe that in the end she comes to terms with her life and she is happy.

I quite enjoyed Walton's debut as a young adult novelist, and I would love to see what other magical realism novels she brings to the writing world. I'm giving this a 7.5 out of 10.

What did you think about this book? Leave me a comment below.

Happy Reads Everyone!