Sunday, June 1, 2014

Avalon High Coronation-A Sorta Book Review



I loved Meg Cabot's stand-alone novel Avalon High. So much that when I read it, I immediately flipped back to the first page and re-read it. Cabot never wrote a sequel to this story, but she did happen to put out three manga style graphic novels to continue the story.

One of the major criticisms I've seen about this manga series is that the original novel does not translate well into the new medium. I went into these keeping that in mind, and reminding myself that it is a different medium, so perhaps it will come across differently than a full-length novel.



So here's the thing, I wanted to like these graphic novels so much more than I did. I mean, I did like them, but they can't compete with Cabot's other works. I think it was a cool concept, and an interesting risk for the author to take, but to me these were just okay. The graphic novels were relatively short, and it didn't take me long to get through them. (You can read all three in a day.) I liked how they engaged the reader, and I recommend it for a anyone who is having a "reading hangover."

The plot didn't really engage me as much as I think it would have had it been written as a full-length novel. I also still think that the new ending left some things open-ended. I loved the book so much, but the mangas didn't have some of that same pull for me.

Despite some flaws, I did still enjoy parts of this series so I am giving it a 5.5 out of 10. I hate to do that because it's Cabot, and I love her writing, but this series was a bit different.

Do you have a different opinion about the manga series? Or a book you want to be reviewed? Leave me a comment below!

Happy Reads Everyone!