Monday, June 2, 2014

An Update On Reading Rainbow's Kickstarter

Last week, I posted about Reading Rainbow's kickstarter to bring content back for children everywhere by utilizing new technology and giving classroom segments to schools for free. In the first 11 hours of their campaign, they made it to their $1 million goal, so the Reading Rainbow team made some big plans to stretch their goals.

Reading Rainbow was pivotal to my childhood, so my first reaction upon hearing about the campaign was this:


No, for real, that was my reaction. 

Reading Rainbow gained a lot of attention after their project became an overnight success. LeVar Burton even did an Reddit AMA the next day. I definitely recommend you check it out. Burton is quite elegant with his words, but he is also such a genuine person. You can tell not only from his interactions with his fans, but through his desire to continue to foster a love of reading in children. I really admire that about him, and I think he is a great role model for kids. 

The project will be funded, but the team is setting a new goal to raise $5 million. That way, they get their program into more schools and onto more platforms like mobile, android, game consoles and set-top boxes. They can do a lot of good for future generations of readers, so I am a big fan of what they are doing. They have already raised $3,314, 599 in six days. SIX DAYS! That's amazing! Their kickstarter still has 29 days left, so I am pretty confident that they will be able to reach that goal. Even if they don't reach their new goal, the money they have already raised will be really influential to help battle illiteracy and get kids interested in reading again. 

But don't take my word for it! Check out new updates from the Reading Rainbow crew to see for yourself. 

Happy Reads Everyone!