Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Lady of the Rivers: Book Review


For the most part my book reviews have been positive, but this one will deviate from that theme. 

I read Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl a few years ago, and I remember it took me awhile to get through it. I find that Gregory's writing style is harsh, and almost clinical, and I think it's a struggle for me to read her novels. I should have know that when I went to read The Lady of the Rivers.

First, can we talk about the fact that Gregory does not write her series in chronological order? That irks me so much! When I started looking into the books for the Cousins' War series I was confused at which book I was supposed to read first. I had to do some research, and I found that although this book is the third she wrote in the series, in chronological order it starts here, so I thought I should read Jacquetta's story first. 

Jacquetta's narrative was interesting at first as it starts with her as a young girl meeting Joan of Arcadia, and we find out that she has inherited the gift of the Sight. Her first husband tries to coax out her gift, but to no avail. Those parts of the novel were interesting and peaked my attention, but then the book falls off from the mystical side and turns into more about the politics of the time. At this point, I started to lose interest in the character. I didn't feel a lot of empathy for her, and I didn't really care what happened to her. Also, I felt like she was pregnant every chapter, but was rarely around her children. I don't know if this was accurate for ladies-in-waiting to Queens at the time, but I thought she was pretty neglectful.

The next book in the series is supposed to be in the Queen's perspective, so I think I will try to finish the series...eventually. I think it's good to read books that are a challenge, and this book was certainly one of those. Even though it was hard for me to read, that doesn't mean I liked it that much. I'm giving this one a 4 out of 10.

Got a different opinion about this book? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy Reads Everyone!