Thursday, May 1, 2014

It All Started With Sailor Moon



As I stated in my introduction to this blog, this is a blog where I will tell my story of where I am in my writing. Before I do that, I would like to properly introduce myself and explain how I evolved as a writer.

If it wasn't blatantly obvious, my name is Deanna. I graduated in 2012 with an English degree and a minor in creative writing. Writing has always been my passion, especially fiction writing. I may not have a full-time job that lets me do creative fiction writing, but I believe my degree helped me to obtain full-time employment. Despite this, my heart still yearns to be a young adult novelist. It is my biggest dream, and I am working hard to try to achieve that. So let me first tell you how I came to this conclusion.

When I was a kid, I hated my name. Not sure why, perhaps because it's not that common. Maybe because one of my cousins always called me "Banana". I was constantly trying to change my name. The few name changes I can remember off-hand are: Andrea, Fiona and Serena. So as a child I always had an overactive imagination, and that didn't really change as I got older. It's interesting that Serena is one of the names I remember trying to change my name to, because it was the name of Sailor Moon in the dubbed English version of the anime. I wanted to be Sailor Moon, and that TV show guided me to fiction writing.

I began like most writers, loving a medium and wanting something more out of it, so I started writing my own story lines. Yes, I too started my writing path writing fan fiction. Only, I had no idea there was a name for it at the time. I was 10 after all. I can be completely honest when I say that those stories were terrible, probably the worst thing I will ever write. However, it had planted the seed of writing in me. Eventually those stories became more original character centered, and thus my writing began to evolve into something more and something better. Or at least I hope.

I'm not ashamed that I came to writing via fan fiction. Never be ashamed for doing something you love, even if others don't understand it. Who cares if you write fan fiction? If it helps as an exercise to write, then I say go for it. 

Happy Reads Everyone!