Wednesday, May 21, 2014

#IreadYA Week!

In case you have been living under a rock, or have been sick like me, you may have noticed that Scholastic's teen division This Is Teen tweeted on Monday that this week is #IreadYA:

I think I've tweeted a couple times using the hashtag, but haven't really given any of my book recommendations. Basically, just look at my goodreads, I have too many recommendations. Basically anything Meg Cabot, Sarah Dessen, Holly Black, Maureen Johnson...see what I mean?

I love this twitter campaign, because I think it brings about good discourse about young adult fiction. When I was in high school and reading a crapton of Cabot and Dessen, young adult fiction was somewhat regarded as "chick lit," and I always felt kind of ashamed to be reading what I was reading. Cabot is the reason I wanted to become a YA author, and there have been times where I have felt uneasy about telling certain people that was my dream job. The real question is: why?

There is no reason for someone to have guilty pleasures, if you like it, you like it, and you shouldn't have to defend the books you like to others. I'm talking to myself here too. I am guilty of judging 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight Readers. Basically, you are allowed to read what you want, who cares what people think about you?

YA has come a long way since I was in high school, which was only 6 years ago mind you! I think that now with so many millennials displaced between reading adult fiction and young adult fiction, we have realized that YA is not just for teens anymore. There are a lot of heavy themes in YA, so why can't adults also enjoy these books that are marketed for teens? They can, they absolutely can. Just like how I didn't read Harry Potter until I was in my 20s, and I still loved that.

Got any YA recommendations? Tweet with #IreadYA or leave me a comment below.

Happy Reads Everyone!