Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bring back Reading Rainbow!!!

READING RAINBOW HAS A KICKSTARTER! This is not a drill, I repeat, READING RAINBOW HAS A KICKSTARTER!

I found out about the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter, when I was scrolling through my Tumblr dashboard tonight. RR went off the air in 2009 after nearly three decades of being on. They kept current with an app, which is currently the number one educational app. Despite that, the state of literacy in this country is in danger, so they want to bring it back for everyone, and in a big way.

Growing up in the '90s this show was pretty pivotal to my childhood. Reading has always been an important part of my life. I like to think that my mom teaching me to read at the age of 3 and watching RR as a child were key catalysts to shaping my life as a reader. I also may or may not be named after a Star Trek: The Next Generation character, it depends on whom you ask, so I think I was drawn to RR because the host LeVar Burton was a familiar face to me. On a side note, at first I was so confused why Geordi La Forge was not wearing his VISOR and talking to me about books, but I loved it in the end.

The thing I love about this project is that they have a well thought out plan for their goals, and have thought of how to reach kids of the digital age. They already have a tablet app, but to reach every kid the idea is to be on the web. Being on the web is pivotal to everyone, not only kids. How much time do you think you spend on the internet? Way too much. But the plan to provide interactive books and video field trips to kids everywhere online is a great idea. Not only that, but they want to also provide classroom segments for schools for free. That's a brilliant idea!

I fully back this campaign, and I am amazed at the outpour of support it has gained within its first day. Within 12 hours of starting their kickstarter, RR met their goal of $1,000,000. That is amazing! Since they met their goal they will be able to bring RR to more than 1,500 classrooms, but that doesn't mean this campaign is over. The kickstarter will remain open until July 2nd, and the RR team will be expanding their goals to make a difference.

I've posted the video below so that you can take a look. Maybe Mr.Burton can explain it better than I can!

P.S. Fun fact, when I texted my brother about this he responded with, "I like that a lot doo doot doot". I'll let that joke sink in. 




Happy Reads Everyone!